St. Philip and St. James Catholic Church is an active community of faith. Many people take part in her ministries and activities. Getting involved in the life of our parish is one of the surest ways to deepen your faith and experience the fellowship that is part of the Christian life.
Our parish office can help you get in touch with the proper people for any of our organizations and ministries. Give us a call at 908–454–0112. We would love to speak with you.
- Lay persons who proclaim the Scripture Readings at Holy Mass.
- Training is provided.
- Those interested in being a lector should speak to one of the priests or call the parish office.
Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist
- Lay persons who bring Holy Communion to the local care centers, the homebound, and assist in distributing Holy Communion at Mass when necessary.
- One is normally invited to participate in this ministry, although persons who feel they would like to be EM’s (Extraordinary Ministers) should speak to one of the priests or call the parish office.
- Training is required, after which one may be delegated by the Bishop to perform this ministry.
Our parish is blessed with two choirs.
- Adult Choir leads song and supports parish worship at the 11 AM Sunday Mass and on many Holy Days. They generally practice on Thursday evenings.
- Youth Choir sings at the 9 AM Mass on Sunday. They usually practice on Saturday morning.
- There is also an active music ministry among those who attend the 1PM Mass in Spanish. Those who would like to get involved can approach them after Mass in the choir loft.
- Our Altar Servers are generally young people aged 8 – 13 who assist the priest at Mass. Those in high school are called acolytes in our parish and have a slightly different role.
- Those interested in being an Altar Server should speak with our pastor, Fr. John, along with one of their parents. High School aged parishioners who wish to serve as Acolytes should also speak with Fr. John.
- Assist those attending Holy Mass and accept our Sunday offerings. Call the Parish Office to get involved.